If you're not knitting, the terrorists win

(My mostly on-topic ramblings about knitting. And life in general. My life in specific.)

My Photo
Name:
Location: Indiana, United States

I'm a middle aged mother of 2 grown children and wife to a man who doesn't seem to mind my almost heroin-like yarn addiction. I spend my time writing, knitting, and generally stressing out.

Saturday, December 06, 2014

Christmas Depression

I went to the doctor the other day to get my blood pressure medicine prescription renewed. It's a pain in the butt to do that. I mean, I guess I see why you would want to see the patient before writing any sort of RX. But this is a maintenance med and it's non-narcotic. There's no kind of high you could get from it, unless you really, really like to pee.

Weirdo.

Whatever. I went so he would refill my RX. My fingers and toes were swollen like ten little fat sausages. A week off my meds waiting on an appointment didn't do me any favors.

So he does all the doctor stuff like listen to me breathe, and then he asks if I'm depressed. I shrugged and said, "No. I'm pretty zen these days." We talked a bit more about some stuff, and he asked me again if I was depressed. It seemed like a really weird question, at the time.

But I guess that's something you might see in old birds like me. Crazy hormonal things going on. Body falling the hell apart. Work all the time. Kids gone from the nest. No other social life except for the tv, husband, cats, and dog. Yeah. I can see that's a danger in some people.

Or maybe it's just natural that everyone gets depressed at the holidays? People have been kind of shitty these last few Christmases. (People in general. Not talking about family members or anyone.) Like, impatient on the road. Impatient in the stores. And rude. People are rude on the phone. Rude when they shop. (Like the woman who cut in line in front of me at Sam's Club. A line opened up and she practically ran me over trying to get to it first.) The cashiers are even rude in the checkout lane.

People shopping at our store get seriously angry when we don't carry an item. It's a game store. All non-electronic games. We don't carry camera batteries. We don't carry VHS tapes. We don't carry shoes. (Shoes?) Seriously. These are all things people have come in or called looking for and then gotten angry that we don't carry those items.

Maybe you'd like some Yu-Gi-Oh! cards instead?

And is it me, but does everything seem to break around Christmastime? Oh, I think I have enough extra cash this holiday that I'll be able to finally get that XYZ thing that So-and-so's always wanted. This is going to be a great Christmas! What's that? Oh the freezer's about to blow up? And the tail light has stopped working in your car? And the closet doorknob broke off? Fine.

I don't know. Maybe it's good that the doctor asked. If he's asking other people, I'm sure he's bound to find someone who is depressed. Me? It's just business as usual with me. This is just how it goes.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


Counters
Free Counter