If you're not knitting, the terrorists win

(My mostly on-topic ramblings about knitting. And life in general. My life in specific.)

My Photo
Name:
Location: Indiana, United States

I'm a middle aged mother of 2 grown children and wife to a man who doesn't seem to mind my almost heroin-like yarn addiction. I spend my time writing, knitting, and generally stressing out.

Monday, June 22, 2015

Not Knitting: Crochet

I've been doing a lot of crochet lately. Mainly because I've been teaching crochet. But, in the process of teaching, I've remembered how much fun it is to do. I don't know why I don't do more of it. I always think that it's because it's slower than knitting, but I've timed myself. It's about the same.

Most of the projects I teach in class are half double crochet or single crochet. I throw in a double crochet every now and then. But I had this bulky yarn I was playing around with and thought "What if I treble crochet this?" Ha! Ca-razy! But you know what ol' Jack Burton says at a time like this?
What the hell?

So this is the scarf, all treble crochet. It worked up super quick, which is probably the best thing about treble crochet. The yarn is a little fluffy, too. So it's floppy and drapy for a bulky yarn, but the halo keeps it from being too airy.

It's Yarn Bee Icelandic Jewels in Rose Quartz. I still have a few skeins of Icelandic Jewels sitting around here from when Hobby Lobby closed it out and I got a million of them. It's a 100% acryllic yarn and I know some of you don't like that. But I'm not a yarn snob. It's soft. It's washable. It's easy to use. That's what I'm looking for in a yarn. 

Anyway, Icelandic Jewels has been discontinued for a number of years, so you probably won't find any of it around. A good substitute would be Lion Brand Jiffy, I suppose. That would give you bulk and halo. Although Jiffy is a little fuzzier than Icelandic Jewels, I think.

I like this scarf, but I think it still needs something. Maybe some fringe? Or a border? Stay tuned.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


Counters
Free Counter